Summary Sheet: Primary Industry
| || || || |
|Advertiser Name||MA'O Organic Farms||Advertiser Type:||Agency|
|Country:||United States||Location:||United States|
|Language:||English - United Kingdom (en-GB) ||Contact Name:|
|Employment Type:||Permanent||Workhours:||Full Time|
Position: Mahi'ai (Farmer) Waena - Product Receiving/Processing
Description: Reports To: Processing & Quality Control Manager
MAO Organic Farms (MAO), located in Lualualei Valley, Waianae, is a social enterprise of the Waianae Community Re-Development Corporation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. Established in 2001, MAO grows organic food and new leaders for a sustainable Hawaii. Today, MAO manages 280 acres of organically certified land producing over 260,000 pounds of food per year with operations co-managed by young leaders learning a trade and going to college. The āina provides many opportunities to increase overall health and well-being in Waianae and Hawaii through two interconnected activities:
Currently in the midst of a 10-year Māona expansion plan, our kuleana is to manage the land and water of Lualualei with aloha āina and aloha kekahi i kekahi- to radically increase the production of nutritious local organic food, while empowering a new generation of leaders to serve Hawaii nei.
- Production, sales and distribution of high quality, certified organic fruits and vegetables for grocery stores, farmer's market, natural food stores, and restaurants; and,
- Training, mentorship and development of young adults within a pathway of college and workforce edu-preneurial programs.
The Mahi ai Waena role is a full-time intermediate staff role in organic fruit and vegetable farm management. Through the training model of ma ka hana ka ike (learning through doing), Mahi ai will be immersed in a fast-paced learning environment.
Working alongside a team of Managers and Youth Interns, the Mahi ai Waena
will work in the wash-pack facility and focus on Receiving, Processing and Quality Control.
- Coordinate other mahi ai and interns to handle, wash, and process fruits and vegetables as they come from the field and into the Wash-Pack Facility
- Operate and maintain MA O's wash lines ensuring they operate at their optimal capacity
- Act as a conduit between the harvest and packaging, communicating quantity and quality across all of MA O's product line
- Maintains the cleanliness of the receiving and washing end of the facility , upholds food safety practices, organic standards, and food quality expectations.
- Support the training and evaluation of the farm's youth crews.
- Nurture existing business relationships, networks and alliances to grow the capacity of MA O and the "MA O" brand.
- Model mutual love, respect and a willingness to work, thus reinforcing organizational and programmatic policy and values in a positive and formative manner that supports the mission, goals and activities of WCRC and MA'O wherever possible.
We're looking for a person with the desire to learn and lead at the same time. The successful candidate will need a 110% commitment to social justice for Hawai i's food system, be a team player and an excellent communicator, and be willing to embrace hard work (we start most days at 5am).
The candidate will need to motivate/inspire young adults in a hands-on organic farm environment, where an attention to detail and accuracy is critical. A good sense of humor will really help. Minimum experience we're looking for includes:
- AA/AS Degree required, Bachelor's Degree preferred;
- At least 3-years farming, food processing, restaurant and/or related experience with tested communication and interpersonal skills;
- Thorough knowledge of a diversity of vegetables and fruits, with an understanding of what comprises best taste and appearance;
- Ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of and/or interest in Hawaiian cultural traditions with a commitment to Hawai i's rural communities and the Leeward O ahu region;
- Driver's license, comfortable driving heavy trucks and equipment, able to work for long periods in a hot environment and lift up-to 50 pounds; and
- Comfortable working with computers, especially Microsoft Excel and Word.
Salary range $38,480- $44,609 annually, based on experience and education.
Benefits include: Medical and dental coverage; Paid vacation, sick and holiday time; Employer sponsored 401K Plan; fresh, Organic fruits and vegetables!