|Only 3 days left! Apply now in only 2 Minutes for FREE.|
Senior Analyst Programmer
Senior Analyst Programmer
REPORTS TO: IT Director
We are a visionary organisation supporting national and international health research, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of diseases that strike in mid to later life, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes and dementia. The organisation is fast becoming a real focus for innovative, exciting health research world-wide and is currently seeking a Senior Analyst Programmer to join our busy informatics team.
The IT department has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Analyst Programmer to join our team in Cheadle, Manchester. The successful candidate will report into the IT Director. You will be responsible for leading development and implementation of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and other critical internal Information Systems (IS) that handle large volumes of scientific data. You will be highly experienced in all aspects of the project lifecycle and data management. You will apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To lead development and implementation of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and internal Information Systems (IS) to meet the business requirements.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To act as the design authority for LIMS and internal IS systems.
2. To ensure that LIMS and IS systems are implemented and maintained to meet current and future business requirements.
3. Supervise the IS team activity in development tasks and processes.
4. To ensure that IS team activities follow defined processes to satisfy the defined quality standards (ISO 9001 and ISO 27001).
5. Design and implement solutions.
6. To manage effective relationships with key stakeholders.
7. To evaluate new technologies and solutions.
8. To work with vendors to integrate LIMS with other Laboratory systems and software.
9. To report to the IT Director with regard to progress, identification of issues and proposal of solutions.
10. Provide and be responsible for estimates on resourcing and timescales for delivery.
11. To provide operational support to end users.
The following specific actions are required:
1. Provide support to the IT Director in analysing business and system requirements for the LIMS and IS systems.
2. Lead design and implementation of LIMS and IS business/system requirements.
3. Write functional specifications, design documents, test scripts and units of work.
4. Support IT Director in providing project timescales and all aspects of managing the project lifecycle.
5. Estimate, manage and track all tasks.
6. Lead the development team in defining objectives, following processes, allocating tasks, supervising and mentoring team members.
7. Proactively seek to improve defined processes.
8. Conduct peer code reviews and testing.
9. Contribute towards recruitment and induction process for all new IS staff.
10. Provide administrative and operational support to end users.
11. Provide support and direction to the Database Administrator with regard to identifying data quality, provenance and integrity issues, analysing the root cause and implementing fixes.
12. Mentoring and coaching more junior members of staff.
13. Ad hoc duties as directed by the IT Director.
PERSON SPECIFICATION - SENIOR ANALYST PROGRAMMER
1. B.S. degree in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Science or related field.
2. Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
3. Proficient in the full software development lifecycle.
4. Good understanding of architecture and design, client server systems and distributed systems.
5. Highly attentive to detail.
6. 5 years' experience working with C# and .NET framework.
7. 5 years' experience of web development technologies such as asp.net.
8. Experience with a range of development tools, IDE and testing frameworks & tools.
9. 5 years' experience working with relational database management systems (Oracle 10g or higher / SQL Server 2005 or higher).
10. Experience working on complex and business critical systems.
11. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders.
12. Ability to communicate both written and orally, clearly and persuasively, explaining complicated matters simply, tailoring delivery methods/media to suit the audience's needs and understanding.
13. Ability to clarify, plan and prioritise own work and that of the others in order to achieve objectives.
14. Ability to work proactively in order to ensure objectives are met in a timely manner.
15. Ability to supervise others in order to achieve objectives.
16. Must be self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
17. Must take pride in own work, setting and achieving high standards for self and working with others.
18. Ability to analyse complex problems and propose solutions while satisfying any constraints imposed by the business i.e. resource or time.
19. Ability to consider risks, wider impact of decisions, assessing possible outcomes and their likelihood.
20. Ability to challenge decisions and proposals appropriately to ensure processes are robust.
21. Ability to identify when escalation is required to a more senior level.
22. Demonstrated experience of best practices for organizing, managing and reporting on data.
23. At least 5 years' experience configuring, implementing and maintaining a LIMS system.
24. Practical experience of Data Quality Management strategies and technologies.
1. Thorough knowledge of laboratory processes and procedures and automated systems.
2. Practical experience using agile methodologies such as Test Driven Design, SCRUM, Continuous Integration.
3. Strong biotech, pharmaceutical or life sciences industry expertise and leadership.
4. Practical experience of Business Intelligence strategies and technologies.
5. Knowledge/experience of standardized quality control pipelines for ensuring data quality, provenance and integrity.
6. Demonstrable experience of creating and implanting coaching and mentoring programmes.
Other job opportunities